Networking Nugget 98-Networking With Creativity, Persistence and Respect
When was your last face to face meeting with someone? I hope it was recent and productive since they are harder to get in today's fast paced electronic world. When you do have that eyeball to eyeball connection, remember my F.A.C.E. suggestions:
F- Make it Fun and Friendly. Find unique things to do and places to meet.
A- Adapt to each other’s timetable and surroundings.
C- Connect and find Common interests. Ask questions and listen with both ears.
E- Know when to Exit. Be respectful of their time.
Here are some creative, pleasant ways to meet with contacts in a cordial sociable way.
Extend an invitation to: • Meet for coffee, tea, or cappuccino––instead of the traditional breakfast, lunch or dinner I recently accompanied a new connection to a Tea shop- her passion and learned a lot about her business and tea
• Play a fun game of golf, tennis or pick your sport. I went bowling a few weeks ago- something I hadn't't done since high school and it was fun and I could still knock some pins down!
• Go for an invigorating walk or health club exercise date. Steve Jobs was famous for having walking meetings. Any city can provide this type of meeting- just be creative.
• Meet at a museum, art gallery, or specialty store- something your contact is interested in.
• Attend an industry event, cocktail party, or conference together.
• Join up for a play, concert, or sporting event.
Be creative and show respect. Everyone is busy and business focused and appreciates new and unique suggestions to relax and learn more about a thoughtful colleague. What would you add? I'd love to hear your suggestions.