Join the Organizations Best for You and Use the 2-2-2 Strategy
If you have been in business for a while, you most likely know about all the various networking groups and meet ups available in your community. The question is: how do you choose which ones will work for you? Choosing what groups you join will determine the effectiveness of your time and money. I recommend a 2-2-2 strategy to decide which organizations and clubs to join. Before you decide to join a group, try these steps:
- Attend two meetings. This will help you in several ways:
- You will experience the organization or group first hand
- You will see whether the organization will meet your particular needs
- You will meet people involved in the organization
- You can access a schedule of events and find out their long-term goals.
- Meet two people and exchange contact information. This is an important step in understanding the organization for several reasons.
- You can ask specific questions about the organization, such as who regularly attends, if the meetings you attended are typical, and how you can benefit from the group.
- These two contacts can introduce you to other members as you build a rapport and relationship with them.
- You can find out what types of people participate in the group and their involvement.
- Arrange two follow-up meetings for breakfast, lunch, or coffee with those you connected with.This step is great for its long-term benefits:
- If you join, these two relationships can multiply into many relationships within the group.
- Regardless of whether you join or not, you now have two new contacts and can still build those relationships.
By following this simple yet structured plan, you will find the organizations that best meet your specific needs. Join and become active in these organizations. When you choose your organizations carefully, you can leverage them to create and develop important contacts, grow your business, and expand your network.