Follow-up Tactics For Everyone
Effective networking is based on simple tactics. Here are Seven Rules of Networking to live by:
1. Smile. A smile is a universal welcome sign. The people we connect with will remember and appreciate our warmth.
2 Look the person in the eye. It’s a compliment to look at someone. It’s a way to connect with someone in the shortest time possible.
3. Listen. One of the greatest compliments we can give other people is to let them know that we are listening to them. Remember, when we are networking with new contacts, it’s like reading the paper. Let people tell their stories so we can discover the “news we can use.”and learn from them.
4. Pay attention to body language. First impressions are lasting ones. Monitor expressions. Sometimes, we need to loosen up because meeting new people can make us a tense.
5. Avoid being pushy. Be careful of coming on too strong. Even if we just lost our job, avoid having new people think that we are desperate.
6. Give genuine compliments. Yes, even with new contacts, a compliment might be appropriate. When we listen to people carefully, often they will mention something that they are proud of. We need to think for a moment and find a way to sincerely acknowledge others’ achievements.
7. Business cards are golden. Ask for people’s cards, yet only offer yours when requested. When we do get their cards, we should treat them as fine treasures and give them the most respect. I learned this years ago in Southeast Asia and will get to practice again when I visit in January.
Networking is a process, one that can create business and personal connections to last a lifetime. We are constantly developing, building, and cultivating relationships that can yield results beyond your expectations.