I received a comment today from one of my readers who had some questions on the way I defined these words and as we talked later in the day, I was reminded how we all see things differently and for every action, there is always a reaction. What a great learning experience for me.
I am sharing what I wrote on the tip and the lovely comment from Calvin after we spoke.
Please write to me and let me know how you also define Customer Service.
The role of "customer service" is in everyone’s job description—and we all have customers or clients. Without them, we have no business.
They can be both internal-which are our co-workers, and colleagues or external.
Here are some reminders for Superior Service:
- Understand how your client’s expectations rise and continually change. Learn to understand what they want and what they value.
- Use quality service to differentiate your business from the competition. Go beyond—and find ways to delight and dazzle them-treat people in a way they will appreciate and remember.
- Set your own high standards and go higher. Think how you feel when you are in their shoes and you are everyday—when you are in the role of customer to some one else.
- Never be content—always look to get the competitive edge—and if you don’t –your competition will.
- Manage your customers’ expectations. Build a foundation of trust—deliver what you promise. Sounds easy-yet implementation is the key. Much better to under promise and over deliver.
- Take it personally!- Make sure to establish a personal relationship with your client. Build relationships— take another look at my list of 34 topics to know about your client (if you want a copy sent to you-just email me)
- Bounce back with effective service recovery. We are not in total control of anything—sometimes things may go wrong—and when this happens, make sure to repair it and restore client good will.
- When a client complains—thank them—they have given you a buying signal and they can become your best allies. They tell you what you need to know to improve. LISTEN and then take action to fix it.
- Look at the world through your client’s eyes and ears. Put yourself in their shoes and the roles they go through in their work. Here is a thought—‘walk into your office as if you were seeing it for the first time, greeting your team for the first time—actually become a customer for your competition.
- Service is the currency that keeps our economy moving. We all give service to each other—When I serve you in your business and you serve me in another-one improves and so must the other- and the whole level rises.
Now-Calvin's comment before we spoke and then after
Hi Andrea,Two questions if I may?Your definition of customer service? I thought of it as what happens after the customer buys? If he or she is unhappy with some aspect of the product then the customer service department is contacted. Your tip also refers to it before the sale?
#2 Is customer service just giving the customer everything they ask for? Of course we want the customer to be happy/satisfied, but is there a point when their requests extend beyond what can be delivered?
Comment after we spoke: