At a dinner presentation recently, the speaker would have done a better job if he had adhered to this quote!
What started as an interesting message went down hill fast when he started to
* turn it into a commercial for his company
* kept talking for ten minutes after he was supposed to finish
* speaking down to the audience
As we were all walking out of the meeting, all that was remembered was the negative.
A huge lesson that I’m constantly ‘going to school on everyday’ rang true for any speaker like myself:
* Give value and information and don’t make it a sales call
* Make sure that you know your audience and speak with them, never ‘to’ them
* End before your time–leave them wanting a little more and as I once heard, no one will ever fault you for finishing a little bit early!